Why You should Eat Onions Everyday
Onions as vegetables, have always been underrated, but they are full of nutrients.
Onions are not just loaded with vitamins, which give your body a boost, but they also give your food a delicious taste.
Onions have been used as food, for thousands of years, which dates back to the time of ancient Egypt.
Here is why you should eat onions everyday;
1. Onions don’t just have an healthy taste, but in a way, they can also help your body. Just 1 onion can give you a considerable dose of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Onions are low in calories, 1 medium onion has just 44 calories, but delivers a considerable dose of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
2. Onions contain all kinds of benefits. When it comes to your heart, onions can lower the risk of heart disease.
Onions are capable of reducing cholesterol levels and decreases heart disease risk factor.
3. Onions contain over 25 different varieties of antioxidants, which help fight against diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
4. Allium vegetables such as onion, garlic, kale, and so on, have been linked to lower risk of cancer.
5. Onions, specifically fresh, red onions, also help in keeping blood sugar levels in check.
Eating red onions can reduce fastened blood sugar levels, by approximately 40 milligrams per deciliter, after just 4 hours.
6. Onions can also help to support strong bones.
Daily consumption of onion juice can improve bone density, which can help to prevent “OSTEOPOROSIS.”
7. Onions can also help to fight against dangerous bacteria such as “E.COLI.”
It’s also believed that onions can curb the growth of bacteria.
8. Onions are good for your gut. Onions are rich in fibre and probiotics.
There is more than one way to cook onions, but beware, there have been reports, that eating raw onions can cause stomach irritation, and some people find it hard to digest.
9. Onions can help to get rid of cold. Drinking a mixture of onion and honey can boost the immune system.
10. Onions may not smell the best, but they can help with breathing, especially when it comes to those with asthma.
Onions contain “QUERCETIN,” an antioxidant, which helps to reduce“HISTAMINE,” which is what makes you sneeze, cry, or itch.
Onions can also promote antiinflammatory response in the body.
11. Chewing raw onions, for about 2-3 minutes will help straiten your teeth and get rid of bacteria, which can cause tooth decay.
12. Onions can help in keeping the immune system strong.
The “POLYPHENOLS,” found in onions act as antioxidants, which protect the body against free radicals.
Eliminating free radicals can help in the encouragement of a strong immune system. Your immune system is primarily your body’s defence, against potentially harmful viruses and diseases.
13. Onions can also help in reducing pain, and healing of wounds.
14. Onions also contribute to weight loss.
How to choose the perfect onion:
When it comes to choosing the perfect onion, you want the one that is clean, hard, and has a dry, smooth skin.
However, there are different types of onions, but if you are looking for the one, that’s going to be available throughout the year, a regular yellow onion is probably the best choice.
Once you get your onions home, do not put them in the fridge, because onions absorb moisture very easily, and putting them in the fridge could make them mushy, or spoil faster.
However, a peeled or sliced onion can be stored, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.
Onions are best kept in a cool, dark, and well ventilated place.
Onions do have a reputation for being a little pungent. The main negative aspect of cooking with onions, is indeed the smell.
How to get rid of the onion smell;
1. How to remove the onion smell from your hands: After chopping onions, try rinsing the hands with cold water, rubbing them with salt, rinsing again, and then washing them with soap, and warm water.
2. How to remove the onion smell from your breath: Eat a few pieces of parsley, or an apple, to get rid of the odour.