IS GOOD TO BE EDUCATED SAYS MY LITTLE KID.
Non-formal education includes adult basic education, adult literacy education or school equivalency preparation.
In nonformal education, someone (who is not in school) can learn literacy, other basic skills or job skills.
Home education, individualized instruction (such as programmed learning), distance learning and computer-assisted instruction are other possibilities.
Non-formal education is imparted consciously and deliberately and systematically implemented. It should be organized for a homogeneous group. Non-formal, education should be programmed to serve the needs of the identified group. This will necessitate flexibility in the design of the curriculum and the scheme of evaluation.
Examples of Non-formal Education
- Boy Scouts and Girls Guides develop some sports program such as swimming comes under nonformal education.
- Fitness programs.
- Community-based adult education courses.
- Free courses for adult education developed by some organization.
Characteristics of Non-formal Education
- The nonformal education is planned and takes place apart from the school system.
- The timetable and syllabus can be adjustable.
- Unlike theoretical formal education, it is practical and vocational education.
- Nonformal education has no age limit.
- Fees or certificates may or may not be necessary.
- It may be full time or part-time learning and one can earn and learn together.
- It involves learning of professional skills.
Advantages of Non-formal Education
- Practiced and vocational training.
- Naturally growing minds that do not wait for the system to amend.
- Literacy with skillfulness growth in which self-learning is appreciated.
- Flexibility in age, curriculum and time.
- Open-ended educational system in which both the public and private sector are involved in the process.
- No need to conduct regular exams.
- Diploma, certificates, and award are not essential to be awarded.
Disadvantages of Non-formal Education
- Attendance of participants is unsteady.
- Sometimes, it’s just wastage of time as there is no need to conduct the exam on regular basis and no degree/diploma is awarded at the end of the training session.
- Basic reading and writing skills are crucial to learn.
- No professional and trained teachers.
- Students may not enjoy full confidence as the regular students enjoy.
- Some institutes provide fake certification through online courses just for the sake of earning.
Analysis of Formal, Informal & Non-formal Education
This table shows the difference between formal, informal and nonformal education.