Common plant’s in Nigeria and it’s medicinal uses
Plants in Nigeria are usually used for making home remedies or herbal medicines to treat disease. Herbal medicines are used for a variety of health conditions ranging from malaria to blood enrichment.
In some plants, almost every part can be used in because of medicinal properties they contain. The use of herbal medicines has increase and gain more recognition globally with many people making inquiries concerning home remedies and traditional medicine.
Herbal medicines may be beneficial but are not completely harmless, so one must be careful when using it and probably seek professional advice for safety reasons.
In this article, we will only be listing some of the popular medicinal plants and their uses.
1. Bitter Leaf (Vernonia Amygdalina):
It is known as Ewuro in Yoruba, Onugbu in Igbo, and Shiwaka in Hausa. Bitter leaf has a lot of detoxification properties that make is powerful in helping the body fight against many diseases and infections. It also has antipyretic properties. Bitter leaf is usually used for treating:
– Stomach ache.
– Malaria, typhoid fever, and also diarrhea.
– To clear the blood and lymphatic system of impurities.
– In keeping their blood pressure low.
– for treatment of insomnia.
2. Basil or Scent Leaf (Ocimum gratissimum):
It is called Efirin in Yoruba, Daidoya in Hausa, and Nchanwu in Igbo. It is used for:
– Diarrhea, dysentery, stomach ache, and vomiting.
– Preventing and treating cold and catarrh, cough, fever, and malaria.
– For aiding digestion and relief bloating.
– Applied to the skin to treat ringworm and some other skin diseases.
– For treatment of oral infections.
3. Wild Lettuce:
It is known as Efo Yarin in Yoruba. It uses are:
– It has analgesic properties, and it is used to make a home remedy for pain relief.
– Can be used to manage anxiety and stress.
– For the treatment of insomnia.
– For treating conditions of the respiratory system such as asthma and cough.
– For treating sexual disorders especially excessive and uncontrollable sexual drive in women.
4. Water Leaf (Talinum fruticosum):
The Yorubas call it Gbure, Edo people call it Ebe-dondon. Medicinal benefits:
– To boost the immune system especially in people who often fall sick with malaria or people who always feel weak and tired.
– Can be applied as soothing on inflammations.
5. Moringa plant (Moringa Oleifera):
The uses of Moringa are too many to list:
– the plant is rich in amino acids, minerals and vitamins especially vitamin A, C, and E.
– In the treatment of Anemia, Arthritis and other joint pain (rheumatism), Asthma, Cancer, Constipation, Diabetes, Diarrhea, Epilepsy, Fluid retention, A headache, Heart problems, High blood pressure, Intestinal spasms, Kidney stones, Stomach pain, Stomach and intestinal ulcers, Thyroid disorders.
– it is applied on skin as an astringent or as a germ killer. And it is also applied to wounds because it has blood clotting properties that help in wound healing.
– Used to treat fatigue.
– It is good for the eyes to maintain good vision.
6. Aloe Vera:
It is an important ingredient in a lot of natural hair and skin care products used for hair and scalp moisturization treatment. But it also has some medicinal uses.
– It is applied on the skin to soothe skin irritations and rashes. It is used in the treatment of skin conditions such dermatitis and psoriasis.
– It is also used orally to treat mucositis, mouth ulcers, and canker sores.
– Used to treat constipation.
– Helpful in the management of blood sugar level (Diabetes).
7. Garcinia kola:
it is called orogbo in Yoruba, oje in Bokyi, edun or efiari in Efik, efrie in Ejagham-Ekin, cida goro in Hausa, efiat in Ibibio, emiale in Icheve, igoligo in Idoma, aku-ilu or ugolo in Ibo, akaan in Ijo-Izon, and okain in Isekiri.
– It is use to enhance sexual activity.
– Use as an analgesic/anti-inflammatory in knee osteoarthritis patients.
These are common plants I am able to compiled up. It is advisable to meet traditional medicine professionals to help you when you want to use them. Herbs are very effective in treating dieseas but at the same time very harmful if not use appropriately.
I hope you find this article very helpful, please drop your comments and also appreciate this article by sharing it. Someone might need this.
Safe a life!!!